Wanneroo City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required?
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? A person is allowed up to four garage sale signs of no more than .25 m2 in area.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? Council does not normally seek to control garage sales, but if someone is holding such sales on a regular basis, say more than 4 per year, it would be seen as a business and the City would then require the person to obtain an approval. Approval is unlikely in a residential area.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? A council requirement exists not to create a footpath obstruction - this includes garage sales.
- Other comments offered. Council will investigate any complaints from the community about garage sales.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.