Bankstown City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? No approvals are needed for a basic household sale but may be required for sales where items are brought in from other sources or are operated as a business.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Signage can be placed near to your property providing they do not create a pedestrian or vehicle hazard and are removed at the end of the sale.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? Generally allowed up to 4 sales per calendar year.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? The footpath is to be left open for pedestrian access.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.